Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 54 - Winter Bulbs

Large-scale ornaments on outside trees seems to be a popular decorative idea here in Fredericton. It can often be a very lovely sight.

In fact, I think these particular ornaments are quite pretty when you see them in the neighbourhood. This photograph, however, makes the display seem discordant and unappealing. I think there is simply too much in the frame (the three bulbs, of three colours and three shapes, the red light bulbs, the branches, the green cord, the strings, the snow, the shadow) to be pleasing.

Again, I didn't see the full effect of the picture until I got it up onto my computer screen. I had really liked this little outdoor display. I did it a real disservice by photographing it the way I did. I probably should have pulled back a bit, allowed one element (the branches or the show, perhaps) to dominate so that the other bits did not overwhelm the senses.

Oh well, lesson learned, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment