Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 71 - Memories of Summers Passed

Of all the photographs I've ever taken (and I've taken a lot), this might just be my favourite.

I offer it now because, to be frank, I'm sick of winter and snow and rain and ice. I needed something to perk me up and, as I was copying all of our pictures from older computers onto a new expansion drive, I saw this one. It made me feel happier as soon as I saw it and I decided to put it up on this blog today.

The photo was taken early one morning in Algonquin Park, Ontario while Patti and I were on our honeymoon. We were standing on the front porch of our cabin and this lone paddler appeared out of the mist. He didn't see us there and, while I had my camera trained on him, slumped forward, exhaustion in every line of his body. He must have set off paddling very early that morning. I have a closer-up picture of him that shows the exhaustion better but doesn't capture the colours of the beached canoes in the lower right, the tree to the left nor the mist still hanging over the lake in the background.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's a great pic. Well worth getting the original framed. I'd hang it on my wall!

    ReplyDelete