Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 75 - A Glove Story

I have been reading Freeman's Field Guide about the different kinds of natural light and what to do with each. So, when I went for my lunch-hour walk today, I tried to keep in mind what he had to say about mid-day sun and the kinds of pictures you should take when the sun is shining brightly from directly overhead.

He says that bright, mid-day sun produces crisp, clean images, with clearly defined shapes and bright, accurate colours. Vertical surfaces can benefit from what he calls "raking shadows" that emphasize form and texture.

So I tried to put that knowledge to good use. Unfortunately, by the time I had worked out what I should do, the sky had clouded over and my lunch-hour was running out. Oh well. I still took a number of interesting photographs, some before the sun disappeared and a number after.

That's why it surprised me that, when I moved them all onto my computer, my favourite turned out to be this image of a lost glove, soiled by months in the snow, lying at the edge where sidewalk meets last fall's leaves. It was obviously taken after the clouds had moved in but I like the gentle range of colours and the many different textures in the photograph. I like the sense of perspective and the slight loss of focus at the top of the shot. And I think the glove somehow looks sad, in its posture and its expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment