Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 73 - Sweet Potato Heaven

Mr. Freeman, in his Field Guide, talks of the importance of variety in a photographic portfolio. Don't forget close-ups, he says.

So when I saw Patti slicing a massive sweet potato as part of tonight's dinner, with its neatly lined up chunks on the cutting board, I decided to give it a shot (literally).

I stood back from the subject and used the zoom. This resulted in the tight focus on the front pieces and the shallow depth of focus, which makes sure the larger chunks in the background are a tiny bit blurry. I'm pleased with the effect.

I also like very much the rich orange colour of the root vegetable and the texture it provides to the picture. I'm not always quick to spot these kind of photographic opportunities but, since this one turned out pretty well, I'll have to make it a focus in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment