Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 83 - Street Musicians

Three things of interest from my reading in Michael Freeman's book over the last couple of days: the phrase "reportage photographer", the idea of adopting themes in your photographic exploits, and the thought of capturing street life as much as street scenes.

I like the phrase "reportage photography" because I think it captures my approach to the whole game. I was once a reporter/photographer and I believe I've incorporated the journalistic approach to picture taking into this blog. I don't often "arrange" my shots and I certainly don't use a studio: I use the camera to report (hopefully in an interesting way) on things I see.

With regard to themes, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I was noticing, as this year has been passing, that I tend to prefer certain subjects in my photos: like lamps, doorways and signs. Freeman would call these the "themes" of my work and would suggest that they tend to give form and direction to my photography.

And last comes the idea of photographing street "life" rather than simply street scenes. Make the people more important than the buildings and landscape. So I felt fortunate that, as I waited for the bus home from work today, the sun suddenly emerged and brought out the vibrant reds in this display of street musicians across from me. I used the full 18-times zoom to get as close as possible without being noticed (another of Freeman's tips) so that the characters are in as natural positions as possible.

I am so pleased with the way the pole and the tree frame the musicians, with their relaxed, into-the-music poses and with the variety of shades of red (the brick, the milk crate, the coat) that pull the shot together.

1 comment: